5 tips for cheaper flights and more for Super Bowl XLVII
Tuesday, 22 January 2013
*5 tips for cheaper flights and more for Super Bowl XLVII*
Fans of the Baltimore Ravens and San Francisco 49ers are probably scrambling today to secure tickets to Super Bowl XLVII and accommodations in New Orleans. And unless driving to and from the Crescent City is an option and their pockets are extra deep, those supporters will need to find affordable flights.
The following five tips, provided by FareCompare.com, should help you find low-cost flights to New Orleans for the Feb. 3 Super Bowl as well as save in other ways.
1. *Book quickly.* Historically, airfare to Super Bowl host cities doubles in cost as the date of the game approaches. The best day to shop for plane tickets is Tuesday--that's today.
2. *Look at alternate airports.* Flights to and from New Orleans' Louis Armstrong International Airport will be the priciest. If you don't mind renting a car and driving, flights in and out of alternate cities—such as Gulfport, Mississippi (78 miles), and Baton Rouge (80 miles)—might yield cheaper rates.
3. *Be flexible.* The cheapest airfares to the Super Bowl will be for flights on Jan. 29 and 30, with return flights on Feb. 5. Overnight or early-morning flights might also save you a bit of cash.
4. *Check out low-cost carriers.* New Orleans is serviced by a number of airlines—including AirTran, Frontier, JetBlue, and Southwest. Check out Consumer Reports' airline travel buying guide and then compare prices among the airlines.
5. *Look for other savings.* You should be able to find other deals when you're in New Orleans. For instance, you can take a $38 round-trip airport shuttle to all the major downtown hotels. City officials say they'll have plenty of airport staff and volunteers to help fans. Also check for New Orleans deals from Groupon, Living Social, and others.
See our Super Bowl coverage for more game-related advice, including tuning your TV.
Subscribe to *ConsumerReports.org* for expert Ratings, buying advice and reliability on hundreds of products.
Update your feed preferences