More George RR Martin Works Picked Up for Adaptation

One News Page Staff Friday, 16 November 2018
More George RR Martin Works Picked Up for Adaptationby 👨‍💻 Graham Pierrepoint

Game of Thrones fans will likely already be aware that HBO has set plans in motion to create a number of prequels to their TV adaptation of George RR Martin’s hugely popular A Song of Ice and Fire novels – however, news has recently emerged that Hulu will be working to create a small-screen universe of sorts to adapt another of the author’s series for home audiences. According to Den of Geek, the streaming platform has acquired rights to develop not one, but two different projects based on Martin’s expansive Wild Cards series.

The books, which number a colossal 27 at present, take place in an alternate reality – based on our own world – and the new shows will reportedly revolve around the aftermath of an apocalyptic viral strain having brought 90% of the world’s population to its knees. The remaining 10%, according to a synopsis obtained by Deadline, were either mutated physically, or to the extent that they develop super powers – and while the virus can lay dormant for many years in carriers, when it emerges, it changes lives forever.

The popular stories now give Hulu plenty to work with as Wild Cards appears to have been picked up from development hell. The series was first optioned for adaptation two years ago, but nothing had progressed until this week, it appears. The emergence of another Martin series, this time shouldered by Hulu as opposed to HBO, will give viewers of Game of Thrones something new to get their teeth into when the show finally ceases in 2019. Fans were finally given their return date for the series recently, which will embark on HBO as of April 2019, with less episodes, albeit at a longer runtime.

George R.R. Martin's Wild Cards To Become Multiple Shows On Hulu
George R.R. Martin's Wild Cards To Become Multiple Shows On Hulu [video]

Martin has come under scrutiny in recent times with regard to his plans for the next A Song of Ice and Fire book, The Winds of Winter. The book has been in the works for several years now, and the author recently opened up to advise that he has still been working on the tome – though there is also news rife that he may be working on a further prequel, alongside those he is developing with HBO for TV. Will there ever be an end to the adventures in Westeros? Maybe not – but if there is, there appears to be another Martin series waiting in the wings to take over.


You Might Like

Tweets about this

•More original news reports from One News Page