Global  

Boris Johnson refuses to back WHO chief after US claims China 'bought' his election

Independent Wednesday, 22 July 2020 ()
Prime minister's spokesman also declines to dispute Mike Pompeo's allegation that election of Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus was 'rigged'
0
shares
ShareTweetSavePostSend
 

💡 One News Page Knowledge: Other News Mentions

Boris Johnson Boris Johnson Prime Minister of the United Kingdom

Steve Bannon hails Dominic Cummings and predicts lurch to right for No 10

Steve Bannon, who has previously backed a range of notorious far-right political figures, has publicly endorsed Dominic Cummings for the first time, calling him..
WorldNews

Why isn't Boris Johnson less popular (and Keir Starmer more so)?

The prime minister seemed to be contradicting himself in his news conference yesterday, yet maybe that's what the people want him to do
Independent

Boris Johnson must close pubs and gyms again to get England close to 'zero Covid' before winter, Independent Sage expert says

Professor Susan Michie called for financial support and accommodation for quarantine and self-isolation as part of a drive to eliminate coronavirus from the..
Independent

The Independent's Evgeny Lebedev awarded peerage by PM

The Independent's largest shareholder Evgeny Lebedev has been made a life peer after being nominated by the prime minister Boris Johnson for his work in the..
Independent

Architect of UK's coronavirus lockdown Neil Ferguson says he has never met Boris Johnson

'I never met Johnson, I never had one-on-ones, it's not the way science advice works in the UK'
Independent

World Health Organization World Health Organization Specialized agency of the United Nations

US doubtful over Chinese, Russian COVID-19 vaccine as race heats up

Six months after the World Health Organisation declared a global emergency, the novel coronavirus has killed at least 679,000 people and infected at least 17.9..
WorldNews

WHO suggests Ahmedabd Covid-19 measures as case study: Gujarat government

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has appreciated the management of Covid-19 in Gujarat's Ahmedabad and suggested to take up various measures being implemented..
IndiaTimes

Covid-19 a “once-in-a-century health crisis” with effects to last decades: WHO

The effect of the pandemic will last for decades, the World Health Organization (WHO) warned on Friday. "The pandemic is a once-in-a-century health crisis, the..
WorldNews

Virus wreaks economic havoc as global cases top 17 million

Shares The scale of economic devastation from the pandemic was laid bare on Thursday as Western economies recorded historic slumps, just as resurgent caseloads..
WorldNews

Careless youth driving some Covid spikes, says WHO

GENEVA: The WHO on Thursday warned that spikes in coronavirus transmission in a number of countries were being driven by young people “letting down their..
WorldNews

Tedros Adhanom Tedros Adhanom Director-General of the World Health Organization, former Minister in Ethiopia

World Health Organisation: Covid-19 is still accelerating [Video]

World Health Organisation: Covid-19 is still accelerating

World Health Organisation director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus warnedthat despite six months passing since WHO declared Covid-19 a global healthcrisis, the virus is continuing to accelerate around the world.

Credit: PA - Press Association STUDIO    Duration: 00:40Published
WHO Chief Says Lack of Unity Is a Bigger Threat Than COVID-19 [Video]

WHO Chief Says Lack of Unity Is a Bigger Threat Than COVID-19

WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus gave a passionate speech at a COVID-19 briefing in Geneva on Thursday.

Credit: Cover Video STUDIO    Duration: 01:20Published

Mike Pompeo Mike Pompeo 70th U.S. Secretary of State and former director of the C.I.A.

'TikTok may be banned in US,' says President Donald Trump [Video]

'TikTok may be banned in US,' says President Donald Trump

The United States may ban Chinese-video sharing app TikTok, said President Donald Trump, amidst rising tensions between Beijing and Washington on a range of issues. "We are looking at TikTok, we may be banning TikTok. We may be doing some other things, we have a couple of options. We are looking at a lot of alternatives with respect to TikTok," he said. Trump added that he would sign an executive order and take action as soon as Saturday. In July, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo had said that the Trump administration was considering a ban on TikTok application. The ban on access to TikTok was being considered over privacy concerns, Pompeo had added. Video-sharing application TikTok is owned by Beijing-based startup ByteDance. Recently, India had banned 59 Chinese mobile apps including TikTok, WeChat and Helo. Most of the apps banned in the June 29 order were red-flagged by intelligence agencies. The apps were banned with a view of threat to the nation's sovereignty and security.

Credit: HT Digital Content    Duration: 01:53Published

House Foreign Affairs chairman subpoenas Secretary of State Pompeo

Washington (CNN)The chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee subpoenaed Secretary of State Mike Pompeo Friday to turn over documents related to the Bidens..
WorldNews

Chinese claims in Bhutan, incursion in India are indicative of their intentions: Pompeo

"Claims that they have now made for real estate in Bhutan, the incursion that took place in India, these are indicative of Chinese intentions, and they are..
IndiaTimes
After India, will US ban Tiktok?: Watch Donald Trump's response [Video]

After India, will US ban Tiktok?: Watch Donald Trump's response

US President Donald Trump has said that his government is looking at banning Chinese video-sharing application Tiktok. When asked a question on the issue, the US President said they are looking into the issue and are thinking about making a decision. This comes after Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin said that the US government was carrying out a national security review on TikTok and that his department would advise Trump what, if any, needs to be taken against it. Earlier in the month, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said that the Trump administration was considering a ban on access to the TikTok application over privacy concerns. Meanwhile, Beijing has accused the US of using government mechanisms to pressure Chinese companies. Tiktok has claimed that user data is safe and not shared with Chinese authorities. This comes after India earlier banned the video-sharing app and several others over privacy concerns. The US had lauded India's decision and said that the move will protect India's integrity and national security. Watch the full video for all the details.

Credit: HT Digital Content    Duration: 01:19Published

You Might Like


Related news from verified sources

Pompeo tells Fox News the US is 'certainly looking into' banning TikTok over privacy concerns

Pompeo tells Fox News the US is 'certainly looking into' banning TikTok over privacy concerns
· Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Monday that the US is considering banning TikTok over concerns of Chinese surveillance.  · Speaking to Fox News host...
Business Insider Also reported by •Seattle Times

Pompeo Echoes Nixon’s Words: ‘World Cannot Be Safe Until China Changes’

Pompeo Echoes Nixon’s Words: ‘World Cannot Be Safe Until China Changes’
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo outlined how the relationship between the United States and China has gone from one of guarded optimism, as witnessed in the...
Eurasia Review Also reported by •Seattle Times

The US will restrict visas for Huawei employees, and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says other Chinese tech firms 'should consider themselves on notice'

The US will restrict visas for Huawei employees, and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says other Chinese tech firms 'should consider themselves on notice'
· The US will impose visa restrictions on certain employees of the Chinese telecom giant Huawei, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced during a press...
Business Insider


Tweets about this