Activision Blizzard Shortens Suspension, Restores Prize Money to Pro Gamer Who Expressed Support for Hong Kong
Saturday, 12 October 2019 In a partial reversal, video game giant Activision Blizzard reduced the length of time a professional gamer will be suspended after he expressed support for Hong Kong pro-democracy protesters, and it has restored previously revoked winnings to the player.
On Tuesday, the company suspended Chung Ng Wai for a year and revoked all his winnings — approximately $3,000 — after he shouted “Liberate Hong Kong! Revolution of our times!” during a post-match interview at a tournament for the game “Heartstone.” Chung, known by his gamer handle Blitzchung, is a native of Hong Kong and was also wearing clothing similar Hong Kong protesters during his interview. He later told TheWrap that he “is not afraid” of the Chinese government.
But on Friday, Blizzard President J. Allen Brack said the company now believes Blitzchung “played fair” and that “he should receive his prizing.” Brack added that “when we think about the suspension, six months for blitzchung is more appropriate, after which time he can compete in the Hearthstone pro circuit again if he so chooses.”
*Also Read:* NBA, Politicians Weigh in as Fallout From Rockets GM's Hong Kong Tweet Grows
The incident received heightened scrutiny because it happened just days after the NBA provoked a contentious discussion of China’s influence on American businesses after it apologized to China because one of its executives tweeted support for Hong Kong protesters. China canceled or postponed several NBA-related events and the league was heavily criticized for appearing to favor money from an authoritarian regime over U.S. constitutional rights.
Blizzard was similarly accused of caving to Chinese pressure at the expense of constitutional rights, including by a bipartisan group of congressional representatives. And on Wednesday, Blizzard employees staged a walkout to protest the suspension. But in his statement announcing the partial reversal Friday, Brack said China had nothing to do with its initial decision.
“The specific views expressed by Blitzchung were NOT a factor in the decision we made. I want to be clear: our relationships in China had no influence on our decision,” he wrote, adding that company’s “only consideration” in the initial suspension was for tournament rules “to keep the focus on the game and on the tournament to the benefit of a global audience.”
*Also Read:* Google Purges Hong Kong Protester Video Game for Breaking Rule on 'Sensitive Events'
Brack also asserted that the company would have taken the same action even if “it had been the opposing viewpoint delivered in the same divisive and deliberate way.”
Chung did not immediately respond to a request for comment from TheWrap.
*Related stories from TheWrap:*
'The Daily Show' Correspondent Ronny Chieng Aptly Parodies Corporate America's Deference to China (Video)
Dennis Rodman Says He Can Make Peace Between NBA and China (Video)
'South Park' Creators Respond to Episode That Was Critical of China: 'We Welcome Chinese Censors Into Our Homes'
HONG KONG — A fearless Hong Kong protester was filmed unleashing a massive flying kick on a riot police officer in order to save his friends from getting arrested by the pro-China authorities.
According to the Hong Kong Free Press, the incident occurred on Sunday afternoon outside the Mong Kok...