Global  

“News neutrality by unbiased coverage”
One News Page
> >

Pompeo: US 'On the Cusp' of Helping Set Up Yemen Cease-fire

Video Credit: Newsy Studio - Duration: 01:09s - Published < > Embed
Pompeo: US 'On the Cusp' of Helping Set Up Yemen Cease-fire

Pompeo: US 'On the Cusp' of Helping Set Up Yemen Cease-fire

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo made the statement after briefing senators on the situations in Saudi Arabia and Yemen.

0
shares
ShareTweetSavePostSend
 

Pompeo: US 'On the Cusp' of Helping Set Up Yemen Cease-fire

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says the U.S. is "on the cusp" of stepping in to help negotiate a cease-fire agreement in Yemen.

He made the statement on Wednesday after he and Defense Secretary Jim Mattis briefed the Senate on the situations in Saudi Arabia and Yemen and the death of journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

The closed-door meeting was the first chance senators got to question top administration officials over Khashoggi's death.

Though Pompeo didn't provide many details about the possible cease-fire, he did say the Yemeni government and Houthi rebels would be present if a meeting could be set up.  Pompeo pointed out that ending support for the Saudi-led coalition in Yemen could undermine those cease-fire efforts.

And that's exactly what a  joint resolution  headed to a Senate vote this week is trying to do.

The measure asks that the U.S. pull armed forces from "hostilities in or affecting Yemen" within 30 days, unless a later date is approved or a declaration of war is enacted.  A number of  humanitarian groups  are also calling for the U.S. to end support for the Saudi-led coalition.

Earlier in the day,  Pompeo announced  the U.S. would allocate nearly $131 million for additional food assistance in Yemen, which he said brings the "total humanitarian aid" in the last 14 months to nearly $700 million.




You Might Like


Recent related videos from verified sources

Pompeo Says US Is 'On The Cusp' Of Helping Set Up Cease-fire In Yemen [Video]Pompeo Says US Is 'On The Cusp' Of Helping Set Up Cease-fire In Yemen 01:10

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo made the statement after briefing senators on the situations in Saudi Arabia and Yemen.

Credit: Rumble - Published

Environmentally friendly: One News Page is hosted on servers powered solely by renewable energy
© 2018 One News Page Ltd. All Rights Reserved.
About us  |  Contact us  |  Disclaimer  |  Press Room  |  Terms & Conditions  |  Content Accreditation
 RSS  |  News for my Website  |  Free news search widget  |  Contact us  |  DMCA / Content Removal  |  Privacy & Data Protection Policy
How are we doing? Send us your feedback  |   LIKE us on Facebook   FOLLOW us on Twitter  •  FOLLOW us on Pinterest