Thirteen Canadians have been detained in China since Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou was arrested in Vancouver last month on a U.S. extradition request.
That's according to a Canadian government statement released Thursday (January 3).
Prior to the statement, it was only publicly known that three Canadians had been held in detention by Chinese authorites since the Huawei arrest on December 1.
Canada's statement did say that at least eight of the Canadians have been released, but didn't reveal whether any charges had been laid.
Ottawa has repeatedly said that it sees no explicit link between the China arrests and the arrest of the Huawei CFO.
But, Western diplomats based in Beijing and former Canadian officials have told Reuters they see the detentions as a form of retaliation by China.
Meng was released on a multi-million dollar bail on December 11.
And is still in Vancouver as she fights the U.S. extradition request.
The thirteen Canadians include Michael Kovrig, Michael Spavor and Sarah McIver, according to a Canadian government official who spoke to Reuters.
McIver, a teacher, has been released and is now back in Canada.
But Kovrig and Spavor are still in Chinese custody.
On Thursday (December 3), China's top prosecutor said that the two Canadians still in detention "without a doubt" violated Chinese law.