Conor McGregor, one of the biggest names in Mixed Martial Arts or MMA, said on Tuesday he was retiring from the sport.
The Irish fighter made the surprise announcement on Twitter -- just five months after losing to Khabib Nurmagomedov in a controversial title fight in Las Vegas... NATSOT MCGREGOR McGregor- who is as notorious for brawling outside the ring or the MMA's Octagon -- didn't take too well to October's defeat, engaging in a post-fight brawl with his Russian rival -which led to a six-month suspension by the Nevada State Athletic Commission..
And in April 2018 McGregor was charged with three counts of assault --after video footage appeared to show him and his entourage in a New York parking lot smashing the windows of a charter bus that was carrying UFC fighters.
In yet another separate incident earlier this month, McGregor was arrested in Florida after smashing a fan's phone.
Inside the octagon--the 30-year old has had a triumphant career with record of 21 wins and four defeats.
McGregor has capitalized on that success-with numerous endorsement deals- also launching his own whiskey brand and clothing line.
Today's announcement marks the second time the fighter has said he was hanging up his gloves.
A month after losing to Nate Diaz in March 2016 he said he had decided to "retire young", but returned to defeat Diaz later that year.
And this latest tweet has also raised questions.
It comes just hours after an interview aired with Jimmy Fallon on The tonight Show in which the fighter claimed he was in talks about an upcoming fight in July.... Whether it's a true retirement or just a leverage tactic remains to be seen... But for now McGregor is signing out with--- just a proverbial punch saying: "Proper Pina Coladas on me fellas!"