All Blacks' coach Steve Hansen says its a "no brainer" to cancel two Rugby World Cup matches because of the potential threat of Typhoon Hagibis.
Games cancellations a "no brainer" says All Blacks' Hansen
SHOWS: CHIBA, JAPAN (OCTOBER 10, 2019) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 1.
(SOUNDBITE) (English) NEW ZEALAND RUGBY TEAM COACH, STEVE HANSEN, SAYING: "Yeah, like obviously everyone new this was a possibility and we all new what the process would be if it did occur and when you get a typhoon or a hurricane as it's called in North America to the level that we are getting then safety is a paramount thing." 2.
WHITE FLASH 3.
(SOUNDBITE) (English) NEW ZEALAND RUGBY TEAM COACH, STEVE HANSEN, SAYING: "So is it frustrating?
Of course it is.
But the reality is that we can't control the weather.
We haven't been able to do that for a long time and I don't think we'll ever be able to do it so... It's out of everyone's control so we just have to then, the inconvenient fact then is it comes down to ok, what do we do here?
Do we charge on and put people's lives at risk or do we lead and make a decision that's around making sure that people are safe?
And, you know, as I said, it's a no brainer, I won't say what I was about to say but the man from America could have made this decision." STORY: All Blacks coach Steve Hansen said on Thursday (October 10) he supported Rugby World Cup organisers' decision to cancel Saturday's (October 12) game between New Zealand and Italy as well as England's match against France due to risks from Typhoon Hagibis.
"It's a no brainer," he said at a news conference shortly after the announcement, adding that despite a bit of frustration, New Zealand would now concentrate and prepare for their next game in the quarter finals.
England and France have already booked a spot in the quarter-finals but the decision to cancel Italy's match eliminates them from contention.
A win over the All Blacks in Toyota could have taken the Italians through.
New Zealand now tops the group, ahead of South Africa.
Super typhoon Hagibis, which was swirling some 490 km (306 miles) south-southwest of Japan's Chichijima island as of 9:00 a.m.
(0000 GMT), is heading north toward Japan's main island and could make landfall on Saturday, the Japan Meteorological Agency said.
(Production: Lucien Libert)