- hwy 49.
- - the legislature voted to adopt - new state flag that will no - longer carry the confederate- emblem.
The bill now needs the- signature of governor tate- reeves and reeves has - stated that he is going to sign- the bill.
- news 25's lorraine weiskopf has- more on this- story.- - for the founder of the- mississippi - rising coalition--lea campbell,- the legislature's - decision made on sunday is a- huge victory.
- she's been advocating for this- change for the past five- years.- lea campbell,founder of the - mississippi rising coalition, - says "i'm happy for our - state.
Because in ,mind it's th- beginning of a new area, there'- - - - still a lot of work that needs- to be done.
This is so symbolic- of a mindset that's folkd are - ready - to address some of the issues - that are holding us back."- yet for former flag advocates - deborah simpson and sharon- morris, this bill is extremely- disappointing because they- believe legislature went agains- - - - the results of the 2001 - referendum.
- deborah simpson and sharon- morris, former flag advocates,- say "they choose to go- against that.
Legislatures have- a lot of freedom to do things o- their own.- they make decisions all the tim- for people, but this issue has- been going on for - many years regarding the- election integrity and that's - - - - the part that's of great- concern.- governor tate reeves' prior - stance on the state flag was- that the decision must be made- - - - by a vote.
Nats: <if and when - mississippi wants to change the- flag and i think at some time - they will out to be the people- of mississippi.>- while reeves agreeing to sign - the bill was a shock to some, - for others its expected - behavior.
- lea campbell,founder of the - mississippi rising coalition, - says "you know in general - the state of mississippi takes - lot of pride in its college - athletics.
So when the ncaa and- secc and conference usa came ou- and gave the state an ultimatum- i think the - governor and state legislatures- did not have a choice, i think- - - - they just had to find a way to- go about doing it."
- deborah simpson and sharon- morris, former flag advocates,- say "you must see what- they did wrong in the - legislature, they have a lot of- power to do something, but just- because they can doesn't mean - - - - you should."
For news 25, i'm - lorraine weiskopf - - -
Tweets about this
Related videos from verified sources