Emerging

Texas judge denies Karmelo Anthony’s request for a new trial in stabbing death

In June, a jury found Anthony guilty of fatally stabbing his classmate Austin Metcalf in 2025 at a track meet A Texas judge denied Karmelo Anthony’s request for a new trial on Saturday, dealing a blow to the 19-year-old’s bid to overturn his murder conviction. In June, a Collin county jury found Anthony guilty of fatally stabbing his classmate Austin Metcalf in 2025 at a track meet in Frisco, a suburb 28 miles (45km…

2-source coverage 2 references
GuardianNYT
Judge Denies New Trial for Karmelo Anthony in Texas Teen’s Killing NYTimes – US
In brief

What the sources add

Mr. Anthony, 19, was convicted of murder in the fatal stabbing of Austin Metcalf at a high school track meet last year. His lawyers are appealing the case.

Source coverage

Media reports

US
Guardian

Texas judge denies Karmelo Anthony’s request for a new trial in stabbing death

Judge Denies New Trial for Karmelo Anthony in Texas Teen’s KillingNYTimes – US
NYT

Judge Denies New Trial for Karmelo Anthony in Texas Teen’s Killing

Mr. Anthony, 19, was convicted of murder in the fatal stabbing of Austin Metcalf at a high school track meet last year. His lawyers are appealing the case.

More news

Also in the news

Supreme Court allows Trump's ballroom construction to continue for nowNPR – Politics
US Established

Supreme Court Allows Trump White House Ballroom Work to Continue

The US Supreme Court has allowed the Trump administration to continue construction on a nearly $400m White House ballroom project, temporarily pausing a judicial order that would have halted much of the work. President Donald Trump says private donors and companies are funding the project, while the administration says renovations are needed for national security. The ruling follows months of back and forth between the administration and the National Trust for Historic Preservation.

4 references
NPRSkyEuronews
'17-year-old girl killed' in sword attack at Swedish schoolSky News – World
US Developing

Seventeen-year-old girl killed in sword attack at school in Sweden

Three other people wounded after 18-year-old man wielding sword assail students in Fagersta school A 17-year-old girl has been killed after a teenager brandishing a sword attacked students at a school in Sweden, police have confirmed. Three other people were wounded in the incident during classes in the central town of Fagersta on Friday afternoon, including two boys aged 12 and 17 who sustained minor injuries. Cont…

2 references
GuardianSky
Discovery

See what’s emerging. See what’s changing.

Explore stories gaining momentum and continuing events with new developments.