Prince Harry and Meghan plan UK return as security stays private
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are planning to return to live in Britain later this month or this fall, six years after they left for the United States. Prince Harry and Meghan are expected to relocate with their children, Prince Archie, seven, and Princess Lilibet, five, to a non-royal residence outside London, and they are not expected to resume working roles within the royal family.
Their son and daughter are enrolled to start at a British school in September, and the move remains a planned relocation rather than one that has already taken place.
Prime Minister Andy Burnham said that any security funding for the couple after their return is a “private matter,” and wished them well. They are expected to remain private individuals, with security arrangements kept outside public discussion.
Israel opens criminal probe into Hind Rajab and Gaza medics killings
The Israeli military has admitted that its troops opened fire on a car carrying five-year-old Hind Rajab and six family members in Gaza in 2024, and has ordered a criminal investigation into the killings. Rajab, who initially survived the attack and pleaded for help, was later found dead alongside her relatives.
The military has also transferred to military police a separate high-profile case involving the killing of 15 emergency and aid workers in Gaza in March 2025. Rights groups note that Israeli military investigations of this kind rarely result in convictions.
Criminal investigations are not being opened into three other incidents involving aid workers from World Central Kitchen and Doctors Without Borders.
North Korea fires short-range missiles after US cuts joint drills
North Korea launched about 10 short-range ballistic missiles toward the sea on Thursday, according to South Korea’s military and Japan, a day after Pyongyang dismissed a US decision to scale back joint military drills with South Korea.
The Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise is now scheduled to end six days early, on 21 August, at Washington’s request. President Donald Trump said he would meet North Korean leader Kim Jong-un later this year, but Kim Yo-jong, the leader’s sister and a senior adviser, said she was unaware of any communication with Washington, contradicting Trump’s claim that Pyongyang had responded to his outreach.
Democratic socialist Angie Nixon wins Florida Senate primary upset
Progressive state representative Angie Nixon, a member of the Democratic Socialists of America, won the Democratic primary for Florida’s US Senate seat in an upset over former army intelligence officer Alexander Vindman. She will face Republican Senator Ashley Moody in November.
Nixon was heavily outspent and relied on grassroots organising to win the nomination, setting up a difficult general-election contest in conservative Florida.
Seven killed in Kenya helicopter crash, including five Americans
Seven people, including five Americans, were killed when a luxury safari helicopter crashed on Wednesday morning in a remote part of northern Kenya, with no survivors reported. Recovery efforts were hampered by a fire at the site and difficult terrain.
Among the dead were a Telemundo executive and Ecuador’s director of national intelligence, Michele Sensi-Contugi, as well as his wife, Stephany Hollihan.
Missing Australian teen hiker Lily Hooper found dead after search
The body of 18-year-old bushwalker Lily Hooper has been found in Nattai National Park in New South Wales, more than a week after she was reported missing on 12 August following a solo hike.
New South Wales police wrongly told Hooper’s parents and Premier Chris Minns earlier that she had been found alive, an error they attributed to dense bushland and radio confusion. Minns apologised for the miscommunication.
UK PM pledges cleanup of worst illegal waste dumps
The prime minister announced plans to clean up the three worst illegal waste dumps in Kent, Surrey and West Yorkshire, which the government says contain 22,000 tonnes of waste. He pledged a wider crackdown on criminal gangs profiting from illegal dumping.
Como mayor bans bicycles in historic centre after being hit
The mayor of Como, Alessandro Rapinese, has banned bicycles from the walled historic centre of the Italian lakeside city from September, covering about 30 streets. Cyclists on both e-bikes and conventional bikes will have to dismount in the zone.
Rapinese ordered the prohibition after being hit by a cyclist last month and denied that he was waging a personal vendetta, though the move has drawn a public backlash.
BBC DJ Trevor Nelson recovering after brain tumour surgery
BBC Radio 2 DJ Trevor Nelson, 62, is recovering after surgery for a brain tumour, which he said went “incredibly well.” He stepped back from work commitments in June after the diagnosis.
Second rider dies during Manx Grand Prix qualifying crash
British motorbike racer Sam Naughton, 37, died in a crash at Doran’s Bend during Wednesday afternoon’s qualifying session for the Manx Grand Prix, becoming the second rider killed during qualifying this week.
West Ham condemn offensive chant about Israel winger Manor Solomon
West Ham United have condemned an “offensive and divisive” chant about their Israel winger Manor Solomon that includes an anti-Palestine message. The club urged supporters not to sing it at Saturday’s Championship home match against Charlton after a section of the away crowd used it at Burnley last weekend.