· *Larry Ellison is far less bullish than Wall Street when it comes to Uber. *
· *The Oracle founder trashed Uber's business model at a private San Francisco event this week. *
· *"They.. Business Insider - Published
A California bill aimed at reforming working conditions in the so-called gig economy is being sharply criticized by some truck drivers who feel unfairly swept up in its reforms. Devin Fehely reports...
On today's episode: Apple rolls out it credit card to a select group today, other iPhone users later this month; LG teased a 3-screen phone that will be unveiled at IFA; Hyundai shows off a solar roof..
A few days ahead of the next Democratic debate, Democratic presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg revealed a plan that backs American workers and increases minimum wages. According to Reuters, the mayor..
· *Checkr, an online tool to conduct background checks on job candidates, announced Thursday it raised $160 million in Series D funding. *
· *The round was led by T. Rowe Price Associates with.. Business Insider - Published
Here is what you need to know.
1. *US stocks are set to drop after the Fed's 'hawkish shift' tempers hopes for further rate cuts.* Fed Chair Jerome Powell cut the benchmark rate by 25 basis points.. Business Insider - Published
Post-communist countries in Eastern Europe are part of global supply chains and the gig economy may offer a way to keep the best from leaving. But regulations are slowing efforts to slow the.. Deutsche Welle - Published
Gov. Gavin Newsom has signed Assembly Bill 5 into law, which radically changes the state's employment laws and in many cases will make employees out of independent contractors. The new law also sets up.. bizjournals - Published
California Governor Gavin Newsom on Wednesday signed into law a controversial labor bill, AB 5, which spells out when companies must treat "gig economy" contract workers as employees. Reuters - Published
LOWELL, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- #GenerationZ--Global research from The Workforce Institute at Kronos examines attitudes of Gen Z in the workplace pertaining to the gig economy. Business Wire - Published
MyDoc offers services in five languages to cater for globetrotters in a gig economy
· MyDoc services now offered in five languages: English, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Vietnamese, and.. PR Newswire Asia - Published
· *On Friday, California lawmakers passed a law that could force companies like Uber and Lyft to reclassify independent contractors as full-time employees.*
· *Assembly Bill 5 could be detrimental.. Business Insider - Published
A new California law called Assembly Bill 5 could force gig economy companies like Uber and Lyft to treat their contractors as employees. This could be a big victory for gig labor... but could it kill.. Wealth Daily - Published
California Governor Gavin Newsom is expected to sign new legislation intended to help the Legion of Independent Workers in the so-called gig economy. The law would make "gig workers" eligible for.. CBS News - Published
California's new labour law aimed at regularising "gig economy" workers could affect a wide range of industries - we tell you more. Also, Donald Trump signals he could be open to a partial trade deal.. France 24 - Published
Kyte wants to bring rental cars to users.
That means no parking lots with special access instructions, lines at rental car agencies, or even reserved spots on the street. A contract worker —.. Mashable - Published
Uber, Lyft, DoorDash, Postmates, Instacart and gig economy pioneer TaskRabbit are among the high-profile Bay Area gig economy companies that face potential investor backlash under Assembly Bill 5. bizjournals - Published
California Assembly Bill 5, which would require many businesses to hire workers as employees rather than independent contractors -- and reclassify their existing workforces accordingly -- has passed.. E-Commerce Times - Published
Washington (AFP) Sept 12, 2019
Labor activists Wednesday were celebrating California's move to have drivers treated as employees by rideshare firms even as it fueled concerns it will hurt digital.. Energy Daily - Published
· *Uber will fight to keep its drivers as independent contractors after California passed a bill forcing "gig economy" companies to treat their workers as employees.*
· *Assembly Bill 5 "does not.. Business Insider - Published
Good morning! This is the tech news you need to know this Thursday.
1. *Oracle CEO Mark Hurd is taking a leave of absence, saying he needs "time focused on my health."* Oracle shares fell more than.. Business Insider - Published
Uber has said it has no plans to reclassify its vast army of drivers as employees, in light of the the gig workers’ rights bill passed in the California Senate yesterday. “We continue to believe.. The Next Web - Published
Soft skills that emphasize collaboration emerged higher than individual skills and are just as important as technical prowess
Learnability is the most undervalued intangible skill, with lack of.. PR Newswire Asia - Published
Uber and Lyft have been warning drivers about the end of flexible schedules, and passengers about more expensive rides that take longer to arrive, all thanks to a California bill that passed this.. Mashable - Published
Watch VideoA bill requiring companies like Uber and Lyft to treat contract workers as employees is now heading to California Gov. Gavin Newsom's desk.
The bill would redefine employer-worker.. Newsy - Published
· *California senators passed Assembly Bill 5, a proposed law that could be devastating for Uber and Lyft.*
· *The companies, along with others like DoorDash and Postmates, have proposed an.. Business Insider - Published
The California State Senate voted on Tuesday to pass a bill that would make it much more difficult for gig economy companies like Uber Technologies Inc and Lyft Inc to classify workers as independent.. Reuters - Published
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — The Latest on a California bill that would provide wage and other benefits to workers at so-called gig economy companies such as Uber and Lyft. (all times local):
11:35.. SeattlePI.com - Published