Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has accused migrants in a caravan making its way across southern Mexico toward the U.S. of provoking violence. In a statement on Sunday, Pompeo also said organizers of the caravan were politically motivated and reiterated that the U.S. wouldn't let the migrants into the country.
President Donald Trump had previously threatened to close the U.S.-Mexico border over the caravan.
He also threatened to cut aid to Central American countries that didn't stop the migrants.
The caravan started its march on Oct.
12 with about 160 people.
As of Sunday night, Mexican officials said that the migrant caravan had expanded to some 7,000 people.
It's unclear where the additional people came from. On Saturday, Guatemalan President Jimmy Morales said thousands of migrants in the caravan had returned to Honduras after being held up while trying to cross the Mexico-Guatemala border.
Much of the caravan reportedly avoided authorities by illegally crossing the Suchiate River into Mexico. Mexico has asked for help from the U.N.
Refugee agency to help figure out which migrants have legitimate asylum claims. Individuals will need to apply for refugee status if they don't have the right travel documents.
Additional reporting from Newsy affiliate CNN.