Global  

Celebrating 10 Years of Trusted News Discovery
One News Page
> > >

WHO Says Ebola Outbreak In Congo Could Be Over By September

Video Credit: Newsy Studio - Duration: 01:09s - Published < > Embed
WHO Says Ebola Outbreak In Congo Could Be Over By September

WHO Says Ebola Outbreak In Congo Could Be Over By September

The organization's director-general said the number of new cases being reported each week is down since January.

0
shares
ShareTweetSavePostSend
 

WHO Says Ebola Outbreak In Congo Could Be Over By September

The Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo could be  completely contained  by September.

That's according to the director-general of the World Health Organization.

He  told reporters  Thursday the number of new cases being reported each week is down since January.

At least 927  confirmed and probable cases of the Ebola virus have been reported since the outbreak was declared back in August.

More than 580 of those people have died.

It's the  second-largest  Ebola outbreak in history.

The largest outbreak on record occurred in West Africa and killed  more than 11,300 people  between 2014 and 2016.  On Thursday, the WHO said the majority of new cases being reported in Congo are now occurring in just two neighboring urban areas.  But  the director-general warned  that more attacks on Ebola treatment centers could end up reversing any positive gains made so far.

He noted that finding ways to protect aid workers and patients and building trust in the community are both essential to ending the outbreak.




You Might Like


Recent related videos from verified sources

DRC Ebola outbreak: UN chief says to step up containment efforts [Video]DRC Ebola outbreak: UN chief says to step up containment efforts

UN head calls on DRC officials, international community to combat spread of virus stymied by inter-ethnic violence.

Credit: Al Jazeera STUDIO     Duration: 01:50Published

DR Congo: Ebola fears grow over lack of access to clean water [Video]DR Congo: Ebola fears grow over lack of access to clean water

Aid workers say fears grow over possible Ebola outbreak due to water shortage in Goma, where first case surfaced.

Credit: Al Jazeera STUDIO     Duration: 02:03Published

Environmentally friendly: One News Page is hosted on servers powered solely by renewable energy
© 2019 One News Page Ltd. All Rights Reserved.
About us  |  Contact us  |  Disclaimer  |  Press Room  |  Terms & Conditions  |  Content Accreditation
 RSS  |  News for my Website  |  Free news search widget  |  In the News  |  DMCA / Content Removal  |  Privacy & Data Protection Policy
How are we doing? FeedbackSend us your feedback  |   LIKE us on Facebook   FOLLOW us on Twitter  •  FOLLOW us on Pinterest
One News® is a registered trademark of One News Page Ltd.