The United States on Tuesday announced sanctions on the Myanmar military’s Commander-in-Chief Min Aung Hlaing and other military leaders it said were responsible for extrajudicial killings of Rohingya Muslims, barring them from entry to the United States.
Myanmar's army chief has been banned from the United States.
That's part of new sanctions announced by the State Department on Tuesday (July 16) - its toughest response yet on the Rohingya massacre.
Along with Commander-in-Chief Min Aung Hlaing, several other military leaders have been barred from entering the U.S. The State Department says all of them were responsible in the killings of Rohingya Muslims. More than 730 thousand Rohingya were driven out of Myanmar during a brutal military crackdown in 2017.
UN investigators say the crackdown included mass killings, gang rapes and widespread arson committed with "genocidal intent." U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo issued a statement on Tuesday's sanctions saying: "We designated these individuals based on credible information of these commanders' involvement in gross violations of human rights." The military in Myanmar, where Buddhism is the main religion, has denied accusations of ethnic cleansing and says its actions were part of a fight against terrorism.
The State Department has so far stopped short of calling the abuses genocide but a declaration of genocide by the U.S. government could require Washington to pose even stronger sanctions on Myanmar.
A UN investigator this month said Myanmar security forces and insurgents were committing human rights violations against civilians - which could amount to fresh war crimes.
ARMY CHIEF GENERAL BIPIN RAWAT WILL VISIT SRINAGAR TODAY FOR THE FIRST TIME AFTER THE ABROGATION OF ARTICLE 370 PROVISIONS FOR JAMMU AND KASHMIR. THE ARMY CHIEF WILL REVIEW THE SECURITY SITUATION AND..