London attacker released from prison last year after terrorism offenses
The 28 year-old British man who killed two people in a stabbing spree on London Bridge before police shot him dead had been released from prison after a previous conviction for terrorism offenses, prompting recriminations ahead of an election.
He was convicted in 2012 for his part in an al-Qaeda-inspired plot to blow up the London Stock Exchange.
But was released in December 2018 - subject to conditions.
Friday's attack, just 13 days before a general election, prompted political leaders to scale back campaigning.
Their focus is likely to shift from Brexit and the health service to crime.
(SOUNDBITE) (English) BRITISH PRIME MINISTER BORIS JOHNSON, SAYING: And my thanks go, first of all, to the emergency services, the police for their bravery and their professionalism.
And to repeat again, my thanks to those members of the public who put themselves in harm's way to protect others.
And I think they represent the best of our country and I thank them on behalf of the rest of our country." A video posted on Twitter showed police dragging one man off the suspect before an officer took careful aim.
Later in the video, two shots ring out and the man stops moving.
During the 2017 election campaign, London Bridge was the scene of another attack.
Three militants drove a van into pedestrians and then targetting people in the surrounding area, killing eight.
The incident focused attention on cuts to policing since the governing Conservatives took power in 2010.
Police have urged hundreds of protesters to immediately leave an anti-vaccine,anti-lockdown protest in Trafalgar Square or face arrest. The warning cameafter heated clashes between demonstrators and officers during a “Resist AndAct For Freedom” rally on Saturday afternoon. Dozens of officers, includingsome on horseback, were repelled by human blockades with loud cheering andchanting as they tried to make arrests. Scotland Yard said the large crowds ofpeople are “putting themselves and others at risk” just a day after Mayor ofLondon Sadiq Khan warned it is “increasingly likely” restrictions will beneeded to slow the spread of coronavirus in the capital, adding he was“extremely concerned” about the rate of transmission in London.
Credit: PA - Press Association STUDIO Duration: 01:25Published
Hundreds from a group calling themselves 'Resist and Act' have gathered in central London to rally against Covid-19 vaccines and public health restrictions.
Scuffles broke out between protesters and police, after the crowds formed human blockades opposite the officers to stop them from making arrests. Report by Alibhaiz. Like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/itn and follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/itn
Deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner says it is shocking Prime Minister Boris Johnson has not consulted with other parties throughout the Covid-19.
The first ministers of Wales and Scotland, as well as the Mayor of London, have criticised the government for failing to speak to them directly about the possibility of a new national lockdown in England. Report by Alibhaiz. Like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/itn and follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/itn
Prime Minister Boris Johnson has visited a laboratory at the Jenner Institute in Oxford which is leading the research into a vaccine for Covid-19. Report by Etemadil. Like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/itn and follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/itn
Kangana Ranaut has launched a direct attack on Maharashtra CM Uddhav Thackeray over the demolition of a party of the house by the BMC. In a video posted on Twitter, Kangana said that while the BMC officials had razed her house today, tomorrow the Chief Minster’s pride would be demolished. Kangana added that she now feels the pain of a Kashmiri Pandit and vowed to make a film on Kashmir. A part of Kangana’s house, which the BMC said did not have approval, was demolished by civic body officials this morning as Kangana was travelling from Himachal to Mumbai. The Mumbai High Court has now stayed the demolition and asked the civic body to respond to the actor’s petition. The row had erupted after Kangana Ranaut said that she is more scared of the Mumbai police than the movie mafia goons and compared Mumbai to PoK. Kangana also faced protests at the airport when she landed from Chandigarh today with Sena workers shouting slogans against her demanding that she go to Pakistan. Watch the full video for all the details.
Credit: HT Digital Content Duration: 02:02Published
Maharashtra Home Minister Anil Deshmukh on September 08 said the Mumbai Police will investigate the allegations of actor Adhyayan Suman, who in a interview, said that Kangana Ranaut takes drugs and also used to force him to take drugs. The development comes amid the verbal clash between Kangana and Shiv Sena-led Maharashtra government over the ongoing probe into the death of actor Sushant Singh Rajput. Kangana recently had likened Mumbai with Pakistan occupied Kashmir (PoK). Earlier in the day, BMC put a notice outside Kangana's office in Mumbai, alleging unlawful construction inside the premises.
Massive protests and a torch rally were held in Muzaffarabad city of Pakistan occupied Kashmir (PoK) on August 24 night to oppose the mega dams to be constructed by Chinese firms on Neelum-Jhelum River. The protesters hailing from ''Darya Bachao, Muzaffarabad Bachao" (Save River, Save Muzaffarabad) Committee'' chanted slogans like "Neelum-Jhelum behne do, humein zinda rehne do" (let the Neelum and Jhelum rivers flow, let us live). The rally was attended by over a thousand people from the city and other parts of PoK. Recently, Pakistan and China signed agreements to construct Azad Pattan and Kohala Hydropower Projects in Pakistan Occupied Kashmir. What really irks locals is high Chinese presence in the area, massive construction of dams, and river diversions threatening their very existence. Pakistan and China are jointly plundering the natural resources of PoK and Gilgit Baltistan in the wake of China Pakistan Economic Corridor. The resentment in the occupied territories are high against Pakistan and China.
A massive protest rally was held in Pakistan Occupied Kashmir's Dadyal city against the load shedding and human rights violations committed by Pakistan in the region. The rally attended by thousands of protesters was called by Sada-e-Haq (Voice of Rights) Party who has accused Islamabad for regular power cuts, high tariffs, corruption and police brutality against civil rights campaigners. They accused Pakistan Water and Power Development Authority (WAPDA), a government-owned public utility maintaining power and water in Pakistan, for irregular supply of power in PoK. The crowd chanted slogans in favour of Iftikhar Sadiqi and asked him to move forward to fight against the corrupt Pakistani officials in PoK. The protesters said that the electricity produced from the resources of PoK is to be given to them only and not to Pakistani provinces. They also condemned the arrest and torture of Tanveer Ahmed, a journalist and activist arrested after he removed Pakistan's flag from a popular public place in Pakistan occupied Kashmir (PoK) on August 21.
National Conference president and former chief minister of JandK, Farooq Abdullah, on September 19 said in Lok Sabha that border skirmishes are on a rise in Jammu and Kashmir and talks should be held with other neighbours, like the engagement is taking place with China. "Like we are talking to China to resolve issues, we need to hold talks with the other neighbour country as well. People are dying every day, border skirmishes are on a rise. We need to find some solution," said Abdullah.
National Investigative Agency (NIA) arrested nine Al Qaeda terrorists from West Bengal and Kerala. They are accused of being radicalised by a Pakistan-based Al Qaeda module. The men were radicalised on social media, motivated to undertake attacks at multiple places. They were arrested in raids carried out in Bengal’s Murshidabad and Kerala's Ernakulam. NIA nabbed Leu Yean Ahmed and Abu Sufiyan from West Bengal among others. From Kerala, the agency arrested three including Mosaraf Hossen and Murshid Hasan. Six of them were arrested in West Bengal while three were nabbed in Kerala. NIA informed that the Al Qaeda module was actively indulged in fundraising. A few gang members were planning to travel to New Delhi to procure arms and ammunition. NIA added that the arrests have pre-empted possible terrorist attacks in the country.
Credit: HT Digital Content Duration: 01:37Published
National Investigation Agency (NIA) arrested nine Al-Qaeda terrorists from West Bengal and Kerala. Leu Yean Ahmed and Abu Sufiyan from West Bengal and Mosaraf Hossen and Murshid Hasan from Kerala are among the nine Al-Qaeda terrorists arrested by NIA. The operatives arrested in raids conducted at multiple locations in West Bengal's Murshidabad and in Kerala's Ernakulam. "As per the preliminary investigation, these individuals were radicalised by Pakistan-based Al-Qaeda terrorists on social media and were motivated to undertake attacks at multiple places including the National Capital Region. The module was actively indulging in fundraising and a few members of gang were planning to travel to New Delhi to procure arms and ammunition. These arrests have pre-empted possible terrorist attacks in various parts of the country," said NIA.
Former Dover MP and “sexual predator” Charlie Elphicke has been jailed for twoyears for sexually assaulting two women, about a decade apart. The disgraced49-year-old father of two showed no emotion as judge Mrs Justice Whipplesentenced him to an immediate prison term for three counts of sexual assault,following a month-long trial which heard trained lawyer Elphicke lied topolice, senior Tories, and his wife.
Credit: PA - Press Association STUDIO Duration: 00:55Published
Conservative MP Sir Bob Neill has tabled an amendment to the Internal Markets Bill over Boris Johnson's plan to override the Withdrawal Agreement.
Report by Etemadil. Like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/itn and follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/itn
Usman Khan, the 28-year-old who killed two people at London Bridge on Friday, refuted claims in a 2008 BBC interview that he was terrorist following a raid on his address by anti-terror police. Conway..
London Mayor Sadiq Khan said Friday's stabbing, which resulted in two deaths before the attacker was killed by police, could have been 'far, far worse' during his Saturday visit to the control centre..