To a stark new warnings for- e-cigarette users.- with rising health concerns ove- teens and vaping...michigan - has become the first state to - ban the sale of most flavored - e-cigarettes.
- new's 25's kristen anzuini look- into what some health - officials are calling a nationa- epidemic.
- - although, in many cases they- aren't even old enough to - drive...- thousands of teens have gotten- their hands on e- - cigarettes....- lee bosarge - school counselor,- harrison county - school district - "in my opinion, it has become almost an epidemic because ther- is a big increase - in the number of kids who are - doing the vaping and the- - - - e-cigarettes and all of that- kind of stuff."
Lee bo - sarg bosarge, a- counselor for the harrison- county school district says man- teens aren't aware of - the serious risks that vaping - has.- lee bosarge - school counselor,- harrison county - school district - "the tobacco companies are targeting kids by making them - readily - available, putting them in- flavors that kids enjoy and the- they market it as safe, so- the kids then think it's a safe- thing to do."
One 18-year old had to learn th- hard way about the dangers of - vaping..- adam hergenreder/pati ent: "my lungs feel like they're being - crushed by 20 pounds."
It will likely take this- illinois teen months to recover- fully - after spending more than a year- - - - vaping.
Adam- hergenreder/patient:- "i'm 18 years old and my lungs are like a 70 year old's."
Michigan has become the first - state to ban sales of - flavored e-cigarettes, a move - that the governor of the- state says will curb teen - vaping.
- gretchen whitmer / gov.
- " 81 percent of kids that are vaping started with some sort o- flavored vape.
This is- a health crisis that we are - confronting and it would never- be permitted if it were - cigarettes but we are letting - these companies target our kids- and appeal to our - kids and deceive our children - and they are showing up with- respiratory illnesses - that no one can explain."
But not everyone thinks that th- use of flavored e-- cigarettes is negative.
- the folks over at "no smoke about it-vape shop" say that there are - some positives to vaping.
- curtis felsher / manager no - smoke about it, just vape.- "if you are not currently smoking or vaping, we are not - trying to get you to- start vaping if you don't have - nicotine addiction already, - there is no point in- starting one, it is a habit i - don't recommend anyone to have,- and we are just - trying to get people to quit- smoking with a better - alternative."
The manager at no smoke about i- also feels that the vaping- industry is being unfairly- targeted for the flavors used i- their products.
- curtis felsher / manager no - smoke about it, just vape.- " just like alcohol and tobacco all of it has flavorings, why - isn't this stuff being- targeted, not just us?"
Officials say it's important to- start talking to your teens - about the risks of vaping,- regardless of if you think they- are using the products.
- in harrison county, kristen - anzuini, news 25.