Global  

Man surrenders to Fort Wayne SWAT after standoff on Valdosta Drive, boy injured

Video Credit: WFFT - Published
Man surrenders to Fort Wayne SWAT after standoff on Valdosta Drive, boy injured

Man surrenders to Fort Wayne SWAT after standoff on Valdosta Drive, boy injured

The Fort Wayne Police Department said they received a call just after 4 a.m.

Tuesday regarding a "domestic battery" at a home involving a father and son in the 700 block of Valdosta Drive.

Is 3 blocked roads ... locked down schools ... heavily armed officers.

That was the scene today on valdosta avenue.

Fort wayne police say they first responded to the home at 4 o'clock this morning for a domestic battery call.

Sofia rosales-scatena//fort wayne police department"the subject inside refused to come out for police.

There was indication that there were weapons involved."

Sgt.

Sofia rosales- scatena says 51-year-old kenneth lawless is accused of seriously injuring his son.

When he refused to come out police deployed their tactical teams and tried to coax him out.

And developed a plan coordination with asu, and hostage negotiatiors and our emergency services team."

Then ... nearly seven hours later ... police entered the home.

"at about 11:20, the warrant had been signed by the courts for the suspect's arrest and emergency services team did deploy chemical agent and which point the suspect did come out."

Lawless is charged with domestic battery ... a level six felony.

But the swat team wasn't done for the day.

Just a couple of hours later they responded to a second call on carlton avenue.

Police say a man fired several shots into that home and barricaded himself inside.

He later surrendered without incident and was detained under a mental health order.

In fort wayne, i'm mallory beard fox 55 news.

Fort wayne police encourage you to reach out to their department if you or a loved one is experiencing a mental health crisis, so they




You Might Like


Tweets about this


Related videos from verified sources

Man Taken Into Custody After Standoff With Fort Lauderdale SWAT Team [Video]

Man Taken Into Custody After Standoff With Fort Lauderdale SWAT Team

CBS4's Ted Scouten shares more on the tense situation between police and 25-year-old Merville Vaughn Jr.

Credit: CBS4 Miami     Duration: 02:23Published